BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Best Mashed Potatoes on the Planet!

This post is mainly for an assignment in my CIS 1070 class, but it is still a very important post. Who loves mashed potatoes? I know they are pretty much my favorite side dish (and sometimes main dish!)

First we need to figure out how many potatoes you need. I always say there is no such thing as too many mashed potatoes, but for those of you who are a little more conservative here is a general guide: 1 medium russet potato per person. For this recipe, I will be using 8 potatoes. I generally like to peel my potatoes first, then boil them, but I saw this video and decided to include it in case you wanted to try something new!


So after I have peeled  my potatoes, I cut them into 1 inch pieces and boil them in salted water for about 15 minutes.

If you followed the video, you might want to cut up your potatoes. Now we are at the same point...get ready to mash! I like to mash mine by hand to leave a little bit of chunkiness to my potatoes, this is a personal preference. If you like super smooth mashed potatoes, use a hand mixer for best results.But for my recipe, I use a potato masher similar to this...

Now I start mashing, I mash about halfway to how creamy I want the potatoes...




Now I add 1/4 cup margarine (I like country crock spread because it melts quickly and mixes evenly) and 8 oz cream cheese (I like the Great Value Neufchatel cheese, same great flavor with 1/3 the fat! )

Now I pour in milk and continue mashing until the potatoes are the right creaminess and chunkiness for my liking.


Now add salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder to taste! Mix it in well and enjoy!!!

Here are the steps in an awesome slide show!!!







0 comments: